MepH

By MepH

Marek Walkowiak

Team Dignitas SMITE roster changes

Sat 23rd Aug 2014 - 1:06am Category: Smite

SAYING GOODBYES

Today, for the second time within a month, we share news of roster changes to our North American SMITE team. First up, we would like to say farewell to Jeremy 'TheBest' Dailey, our mid laner. Over the past weeks he felt that a different team environment would be for the best (heh ...) of his career. We respect his decision and first of all thank him for his time with us and wish him the best of luck in the future!

Furthermore, Erich 'ShadowQ' Grabowski will be stepping down from an active role on the roster. Like TheBest, he also expressed his desire to move on and continue his path in another team. We are currently in negotiations with his desired new organisation to buy him out of his contract, until then he will remain in Team Dignitas, though not on our active roster.

FRESH BLOOD

While we are naturally saddened by the players' decisions to go separate ways with our SMITE roster, that gives us the chance to welcome hungry new players who have the drive to become successful together. We believe we have found the perfect players in Darrell 'Gnaw' Elston and Brendan 'DaretoCare' Daniels.

DaretoCare is almost unanimously considered a stellar support player, formerly part of the successful COGnitive Gaming lineup. After a brief period without a team, we are ecstatic to be able to welcome this world-class player back onto the competitive stage.

Gnaw has not been part of the competitive scene before, nonetheless he has made a name for himself as a notoriously dangerous mid laner. Due to his playmaking abilities, he has been on the NA scene's radar despite his absence from the competitive scene.

STATEMENT BY LASSIZ

"It's never an easy moment when you're not only losing two of your team mates, but two of your best friends as well. Unfortunately, we had some recent issues with our team synergy from the past few weeks of qualifiers up to the regionals.

This was not a decision made by the team. ShadowQ (Erich) and Thebest (Jeremy) had felt that our team had been falling off as of recent. They approached us thinking it would be best for both parties to split ways. Cognitive Gaming was something it seems they were considering for a while now.

With the recent decision made by ShadowQ to leave the team, it wasn't an easy thing to deal with. Followed up with Thebest strongly considering leaving the team, too, in order to follow his closest friend, we had taken initiative to find two more eligible candidates to try and fill their shoes.

Two players the team immediately considered were 'Daretocare' and 'Gnaw'. Although we believe that ShadowQ and Thebest can never truly be replaced, we understand that we have to stay hungry and continue our goal to make it to worlds. Myself and the team are really excited for these two new players to join our ranks and hope we can make all of our fans and of course Team Dignitas proud.

We just want everyone to know that it was not our decision to replace or get rid of any players that were a part of the roster. I love all four of these guys and I wish everyone the best of luck in their path and future of what they have planned."

Update (additional statement):

"When we received an E-mail from management that ShadowQ was going to be joining CoG I approached Best in mumble shortly after. Talking to him asking what he's doing he said "Uhh, I'll probably be joining CoG too as their solo laner". I don't hide any truths when unfortunate things occur. However, I did leave out that I gave Best until Saturday to give me an answer to rethink his choice of leaving us for CoG, and after the uneasy feeling it left with the team, we decided to take Gnaw by the time Saturday hit. It's never an easy decision, but no where in our right mind did we bench him for under performing or grudge. We made a hasty decision on what we thought Best would choose (Following his best friend Shadow) and unfortunately after we chose Gnaw he decided to stay with us. I don't know if that's because there was no room on CoG or because he actually wanted to stay with us. But managers / owners speak to one another, and I may know things others do not. Sorry again."

With these changes, we are looking to amp up both the playmaking ability of our roster and the players' drive to compete and succeed together. This is our SMITE roster going into the Smite Pro League:

Alex 'Shing' Rosa SOLO
Drew 'Lassiz' Boyd JUNGLE
Darrell 'Gnaw' Elston MID
Steven 'Zapman' Zapas HUNTER
Brendan 'DaretoCare' Daniels SUPPORT
 Anatoliy 'AnatoLiy' Alekseyenok COACH/SUBSTITUTE

• imazombii

Roger Deborde
    Sat 23rd Aug 2014 - 1:32am

Hard to say goodbye to such great players, but Gnaw and DareToCare should fit near perfectly. DareToCare is a great shotcaller and Gnaw is very dangerous in lane. Excited for the SPL now.

Elke
    Sat 23rd Aug 2014 - 1:50am

I've been a long time fan of Dignitas but I don't understand why this article doesn't mention the fact that TheBest was first demoted to the sub position. He left the team because he felt he deserved a starting position. Team Dignitas has become team Drunkitas, and I'm looking forward to rooting against them.

• Karma

Sam Oakley
    Sat 23rd Aug 2014 - 2:02am

Unfortunately teams change, players come and go. TheBest and ShadowQ had a great run with Dig and it will be a shame to see such great players leave the team. However with fresh blood in the team I feel it might give them the kick up the backside they needed at the last LAN and will help them to become a more effective team. The changes will benefit both the team and the players both coming and going and I look forward to seeing my brothers get to work in the SPL!

• Lassiz

Drew Boyd
    Sat 23rd Aug 2014 - 3:01am

If that isn't ignorance at it's finest Elke. Perhaps you shouldn't speculate on things you have no idea on. When Shadow announced his leave, Best had said he's probably going to follow Shadow to CoG. It's called initiative and not taking risks and trying to get a new team prepped and ready before crap hits the fan. Common sense tends to lack in our population these days.

Geldan
    Sat 23rd Aug 2014 - 3:19am

So TheBest chose a sub role on CoG over a sub role on Dig?

• Lassiz

Drew Boyd
    Sat 23rd Aug 2014 - 3:42am

When we received an E-mail from management that ShadowQ was going to be joining CoG I approached Best in mumble shortly after. Talking to him asking what he's doing he said "Uhh, i'll probably be joining CoG too as their solo laner". I don't hide any truths when unfortunate things occur. However, I did leave out that I gave Best until Saturday to give me an answer to rethink his choice of leaving us for CoG, and after the uneasy feeling it left with the team, we decided to take Gnaw by the time Saturday hit. It's never an easy decision, but no where in our right mind did we bench him for under performing or grudge. We made a hasty decision on what we thought Best would choose (Following his best friend Shadow) and unfortunately after we chose Gnaw he decided to stay with us. I don't know if that's because there was no room on CoG or because he actually wanted to stay with us. But managers / owners speak to one another, and I may know things others do not. Sorry again.

Geldan
    Sat 23rd Aug 2014 - 3:56am

Thank you Lassiz, I wish the original statement had conveyed this. From the outside all we saw was that you benched a beloved player, replaced him with someone else, and he was forced to leave. Leaving out the fact that he was benched in the above statement seemed very insincere.

• Lassiz

Drew Boyd
    Sat 23rd Aug 2014 - 3:59am

Sorry for the confusion. I never try to leave any information out, but while writing it all up I forget things. I would never betray someone that way. When we felt betrayed to start. But what's done is done, and I really hope both Jeremy and Erich have great success (But not too much ;) We don't want to lose) :D

• imazombii

Roger Deborde
    Sat 23rd Aug 2014 - 4:06am

It is nice to have a little transparency in moves like this, especially when usually only one party in the "conflict" (if you can call it that) posts cryptic things. There's going to be the inevitable shitstorm that always follows things like this, but in the end, we probably don't need to know the full story, that's between the members of the team. I'm excited for the new look Dig to come out firing in the SPL and hope Best and Shadow continue to do well, it'll only be better for the scene.

RickObv
    Sat 23rd Aug 2014 - 4:26am

I think the entire roster needs an overhaul imo. Lassiz should go back to playing a mid role. Shing should jungle, Zapman should keep swingin PeePee in the ADC role and you could virtually put anyone in a Support role who has half a brain to get carried by these 3 alone. Losing ShadowQ isn't a big loss at all, Dare is an has and will be an upgrade compared to ShadowQ but so would even someone like ElBorochacho, PainDeviande or Chrispocket because ShadowQ is by far one of the worst supports in the competitive NA smite scene. Its loyal for them to stick together but does CoG really want to downgrade there support in Jeffhindla just to get marginal advantage in the solo lane with Best? Losing Best really stings though for DiG but I don't think he has the drive/hunger to stay afloat as one of the premier mid laners in Smite (anymore) with more and more teams looming around and stepping up in there game in the NA scene the competition is closer than ever and Best isn't quite hitting the mark. Gnaw can possibly be the answer since he is really grinding hard in ranked but can he maintain that same steady improvement when it matters most? We shall see. I wish DiG the best and hope Best and Shadow find there place in the scene and continue to get better

Zekex1
    Sat 23rd Aug 2014 - 4:48am

I don't understand how anyone can say ShadowQ is one of the worst supports. Shadow is an extremely talented player. One of the best supports in NA is the correct statement.

• Sorastro

Len Brown
    Sat 23rd Aug 2014 - 5:53am

I hate to see Shadowq go. He's a top flight support and he's been a part of DiG as long as I have been playing Smite and watching the tournaments. DiG will look a lot different, but I know that Dare is a fantastic player and fun to watch. Honestly, I wish the best (no pun intended) to everyone involved.

R2d2
    Sat 23rd Aug 2014 - 5:56am

Lass, Where will Adur0 be going in all of this?

Col_Putnam
    Tue 26th Aug 2014 - 2:05am

I've been debating for a few days now whether to post my thoughts on these changes or not, so here I go. It's tough to see one of your favorite teams hit us with an announcement like this, but this is esports and roster changes do happen and sometimes can't be helped. When I heard this news, it hit me pretty hard. We're talking like pretty hard as in when Brazil lost the world cup and that picture of the old man surfaced holding a make-shift trophy crying. That kind of hurt, but I didn't cry (came alittle close to dropping a tear or two but I held back.) First: I wanna say that I am happy the team is still going to move forward and put on great performances for us and give us highlights for days. Thats what I love about these guys. They always love to give back to the fans in anyway possible. Second. Shadowq and Thebest leaving sucks, but they still will be around in the esports scene and continue doing what they do. You could even tell by Lassiz's expressions this past week on steam that he was sad as well. For some odd reason when I read shadow left "Dust in the Wind" by Kansas started playing in my head and got me sad. Anyways, I digress. Some of could be questioning there integrity for doing this, but I look it at it as them seeing what else is out on the market for them. They've been in Dignitas for over a year and made lots of memories with them, and now maybe they want to get a fresh start over in a new team. Third: Seeing them play in the LAN event a few weeks ago and seeing them get second was nice, but you could tell they wanted more. Performance wise I thought everyone did what they needed to, but you could tell they were dwindling down after the 3rd game. I was always one to criticize Thebest as being the member who was slightly off from the team and being the weakest, but he shut me up quick in the first game. I felt he was MVP in that game. Overall, I don't feel there performances of these two weren't bad at all. Fourth: The introduction of DareToCare and Gnaw. I would like to walk both of these gentlemen with open arms into the family because thats what family does. Yes, Dare had some attitude issues on CoG that got him on the bench, but he has had plenty of time to reflect on this and improve as a player. However, filling shadowqs shoes are not going to be easy. This guy wears size 14 clown shoes. The type of shoes where you make a monstrous play and survive with a small amount of health, then look back and say" I've gotta go back in" and then you die. Your whole team yelling at you on comms, " Why did you do that? Have you lost your mind?" then you just reply "But it was hilarious." Shouts to Anantoliy for that one. :) But Daretocare can do, just have to break them in first and he'll be on his way. Now for Gnaw. Gnaws name has been thrown around by many players/casters as being on of the talented league players that doesn't have a team. I've watched a few of his matches and I do believe he can match up to what Thebest has done for Dig. The challenge is can he take what Thebst had done and bring it to whole other level. We shall see in the weeks to come. Lastly: What does the future hold for Team Dignitas? This is something that we will have to wait and see, but there is something us fans can do. 1. Support Thebest and Shadowq in there decisions to leave. 2. Continue to support Dignitas in the SPL coming up. 3. Embrace our two new members with open arms and give them a big pat on the back and SAY "Welcome to the team, buddy" Lastly, when Dig wins we all feel like champions, and when Dig loses we all embrace each other like brothers and cheer each other up. P.S I wrote this in one take, so if theres alot of grammar errors I apologize and will fix them later. Also, sorry if I repeated myself alot. Like I said in my first sentence, I spent alot of time thinking if I wanted to post this or not. :)

• Aghaton