michał radosław w.
Thoughts and Analysis - Fiora Patch v188.8.131.52Wed 29th Feb 2012 - 6:38pm Category: League of Legends
Today a new patch came out on the EU servers which introduce a new champion - Fiora, the Grand Duelist. I will analyze the most important changes in this patch which are worth mentioning and how they are going to affect champion picks in solo queue and 5v5 premade matches.
Full patchnotes link:
Let's start with changes that dont invole mechanics of the game:
• Item call-outs for game changing items - It's a nice change for people that don't pay attention to what other people buy. Nothing major here.
• Champions will now attempt to run home immediately when disconnecting, rather than attempting to Recall - That’s the next nice small change that will make solo queue players happy. It's going to work quite well with the previous patch change that was about not showing enemy disconnect messages until 5 minute after the disconnect. No more instant jumping into the enemy when we see him recalling in strange places. This patch change means goodbye to an old strategy called "disconnect baiting" that was quite funny on low elo matches.
• You can now activate a timestamp for game chat in the options menu - That's the best non-gameplay change from this patch. Thanks to that you will be able to time any map objectives and wards without any effort. Now even without looking at the game time you can just type for example the letter "D" at time you kill Dragon and by using a little bit of common sense everyone will know that 6 minutes after that a dragon will spawn. It’s going to make life easier for the lazy people that previously didn’t time any objectives.
Changes for each specific champion and how it going to influence gameplay:
• Trample (passive) damage increased to 10-27 per second from 10-23
• Triumphant Roar (E) mana cost increased to 28/41/45/67/80 from 20/35/50/65/80
• Unbreakable Will (Ultimate R) mana cost reduced to 100 from 150
Buffs to Alistar were just not needed at all. His late game is going to be a little bit better compared to what it used to be. In theory at level 18 Alistar is going to do 12 more damage per skill, which is basically 40 free ability power to his passive. It's nothing major but just a free buff to a champion that was currently fine or even above average. Because of that his jungling speed and a minion wave clear potential in the late game will increase by a small amount, so as I said it's nothing major.
Mana cost on his ultimate is another unnecessary buff that is actually quite huge for the early levels. Since an Alistars mana poll at level 6 isn't that big (around 450 without the masteries in the utility tree) this change will save around 10% of his mana and will allow Alistar to use two Triumphant Roars or one Headbutt or one Pulverize more before he goes out of mana in a situation, when he goes all in or tower dives at level 6.
• Base damage increased to 56 from 54
• Armor per level increased to 3.4 from 3.1
• Churn the Waters (Ultimate R) mana cost reduced to 100 from 150
Some small buffs to his early laning. Nothing huge, but with this very small buff there will be more people who are going to start playing this champion. Actually we might see more pro's trying to pick him up and master this guy. There are few people from competitive scene in Europe that did it and it seems he is even ban worthy against them (for example WesternWolves AP Mid player - Tabzz).
• Idol of Durand (Ultimate R) damage range increased to 600 from 575
We need to remember as this skill is a circle, so it will increase his total range by 50 (25 from one side to another), so it will be actually much easier to catch more people with his ultimate than before. It's a slightly larger radius than before, almost not noticeable, but still it's something.
I would say it's a nerf to Ashe (yes, you read it right - Ashe), which is the only range auto attack champion which has 600 range, so she won’t be able to attack Galio when he ults anymore. The same goes for AP casters that have 600 range such as Vladimir and Cassiopheia (her E range is 700 but if she stands closer to the target she does more damage).
• Lucent Singularity (E)
- Now additionally grants vision while in flight to its destination
- Now starts its cooldown when cast rather than when detonated
- Cooldown increased to 10 seconds from 9
- Now displays a buff showing how long Lucent Singularity will last until it automatically detonates
• Finales Funkeln (Ultimate R)
- Now grants vision of the affected area during the spell and vision of enemy champions hit for a short duration afterwards
- Lux can no longer use Flash while casting Finales Funkeln
Huge changes to the hardest champion in this game and also the only champ that actually has 4 skillshot abilities. These are huge buffs to Lux' damage. Let's first discuss the damage increase to Lucent Singularity. Before this change you had to wait until the projectile hit the spot before you could detonate so it increased the cooldown already.
Now you won’t have to use it as soon as it lands and you actually will be able to delay it without losing damage potential. Since an E ability can last 5 seconds on the ground and a cooldown is 10 seconds now with a 40% CDR Lux players will be able to use double E combo if landed perfectly which will increase her burst potential (imagine situation like this -> Lux cast E on ground -> Someone walks into it -> Lux hits Q -> Detonate E -> Cast next E -> Cast Ulti -> Detonate 2nd E, of course it’s just theory crafting but her possibilities of burst potential will increase).
The other changes are also good. Her ultimate will now reveal the area where she shoots. It will work kinda like a CV especially because it’s really low cooldown (even now it’s used as buff stealer ability). It's a small buff but can be really helpful and opens a lot of new possibilities.
• Granite Shield (passive) now shows a cooldown timer
• Unstoppable Force (Ultimate R)
- Area of effect radius on impact increased to 325 from 300
- Malphite can no longer flash while using Unstoppable Force
- Fixed a bug where Malphite would seem to hit the target but would not cause the effect
Those changes might not seem very important but they are. Malphites problem was his unreliability because his ulti sometimes didn’t work / missed even when it should hit. With these changes that won't be an issue anymore . Riot also increased the radius of his ulti by 25 which results in total radius increase by 50 (same as Galio). Its a slightly higher radius that is almost not noticeable, but still it's something. Great changes to Malphite and same as Lux we might see more pro players pick them up.
• Axe Throw (Q)
- Damage increased to 80-260 from 50-210
- Scaling changed to +1.0 bonus AD from +0.5 to9tal AD
- Base cooldown reduced to 8 seconds from 10
- Cooldown reduction for picking up the axe reduced to 4.5 seconds from 6
• Ragnarok (Ultimate R)
- Provides 30/45/60 Armor and Magic Resist instead of 20/30/40 flat damage reduction
- Movement Speed increased to 325 from 320
These are also huge changes in this patch. Overall Olaf's reliability got increased in all aspects - defense, damage, movement speed. His defense is now more reliable as its no longer a flat damage reduction but a percentage damage reduction (ultimate gonna be less effective against over-time abilities, however much better against hard hitting abilities.).
On top of that his Q now always gets reduced cooldown (compared to before patch Olaf) so it can be used again quicker than before. Q will scale much better with attack damage than before (scaling remade to scale from bonus AD but base values are increased so without any AD it will be same damage as before).
• Health per level increased to 82 from 77
• Move Quick's (W) component now shows a cooldown timer
• Noxious Trap (Ultimate R) arm time reduced to 1 seconds from 2
The change to his traps will make him more reliable in team fights, which is quite good for him, but I'm not sure if this change was really needed. Before you almost couldn’t use traps in team fights because it took to long for them to arm and enemy mostly could run away from it before it exploded.
Now it won’t be an issue anymore. I’m not sure if this change was really needed though because it's going to make him more annoying, not only on lane but in team fights as well. After this change Teemo will be useful in team fights if he got all mushrooms prepared for it, so we will probably see more of him in competitive play especially by TheRainMan from TSM.
• Explosive Shot (E) cast range increased to 625 from 600
I’m not sure about this change. Her Explosive shot range was 550 (and Riot wrote its 600, but before this patch on the league of legends wikipedia it was 550) so I’m just not sure what’s this change is about. If they are going to increase her E cast range to 625 it going to be SOOOOOO good and to be honest I would consider her as tier1 AD carry if it’s true.
Tristana players could easily poke with this ability on a lane with autoattack+E combo, you could easily use it in team fights without the need to go dangerously close to the enemy (like before since it had only 550 range). As I wrote before I’m not sure about this change how it’s going to work exactly, but if its going to be 625 range then Tristana at level 11 still will be able to do auto attack + E combo on her maximum auto attack range, which is pretty incredible (before she could only do it at level 1 at max auto attack range).
• Hexplosive Mines (E)
- Mana cost reduced to 70/80/90/100/110 from 80/90/100/110/120
- Slow duration reduced to 1.5 seconds from 2
- Damage from 2nd and subsequent mines reduced to 40% from 50%
Adjustments to his E were quite needed. His zoning potential was incredible and with a full combo - E on top of enemy -> Q -> Passive -> Ulti, he could easily burst any not tanky champion. Not sure if it is going to change but it’s going in the right direction. I’m not saying Ziggs is overpowered but his burst and poke is just great. This patch won't change much, he still is going to be a great poker and zoning champion that is quite balanced.
• Innate (passive) - Fiora regenerates 7 + (1 × level) health over 6 seconds each time she deals damage. Striking champions will cause this effect to stack up to 4 times.
• Lunge (Q) - Fiora dashes forward to strike her target, dealing physical damage. Fiora can perform the dash a second time within a couple seconds at no mana cost.
Cost: 60 mana
Cooldown: 16 / 14 / 12 / 10 / 8 seconds
Physical Damage: 40 / 65 / 90 / 115 / 140 (+0.6 per bonus attack damage)
• Riposte (W)
- (Passive) Fiora's Attack Damage is increased.
Bonus Attack Damage: 15 / 20 / 25 / 30 / 35
- (Active) Fiora parries the next basic attack and reflects magic damage back to the attacker. Works against champions, monsters, and large minions.
Cost: 40 mana
Cooldown: 10 / 9 / 8 / 7 / 6 seconds
Magic Damage: 60 / 110 / 160 / 210 / 260 (+1.0 per ability power)
• Burst of Speed (E) - Fiora temporarily gains additional Attack Speed. Each basic attack or Lunge she lands during this time increases her Movement Speed. Killing a champion refreshes the cooldown.
Cost: 55 mana
Cooldown: 15 / 14 / 13 / 12 / 11 seconds
Attack Speed: 60 / 75 / 90 / 105 / 120%
Movement Speed: 7 / 9 / 11 / 13 / 15%
Blade Waltz (Ultimate R) - Fiora dashes around the battlefield to deal physical damage to enemy champions. Successive strikes against the same target deal less damage.
Cost: 100 mana
Cooldown: 150 / 130 / 110 second
Physical Damage: 160 / 330 / 500 (+1.2 per bonus attack damage)
Total Single Target Physical Damage: 320 / 660 / 1000 (+ 2.4 per bonus attack damage)
Here is the true mystery of this patch. Based on the patch notes many people seem to think she is going to be overpowered and actually I think the same. Her kit is incredible and gives her everything she needs on lane and her passive bonuses are really high.
If we think about her attack ability we have sustain from passive, two dashes, a passive attack damage buff, an attack speed buff with movement speed aswell as reflect; kinda like pantheons (but probably doesn't work on towers), but able to use it whenever you want and it also deals damage to the attacker. Last but not least she has her ultimate that will be probably be a huge burst ability.
Attack damage buff - compared to other people's abilities its half of Vayne's ultimate damage buff. Its quite incredible how much damage it gives.
Attack speed buff gonna be incredible - 120% of attack speed will make her be capped or almost capped with just this ability.
It seems at first it is gonna be a Riven type of champion with more passive damage increase and health regeneration passive.
There are few other important changes in gameplay that involves:
• Attack damage increased to 40 from 30
It’s actually a funny change because before from components you had more damage than from whole combined item (25 pickaxe and 15 madreds = 40 damage) so basically your damage was decreased by 10 and now they are fixing it. It won’t change that it’s still a very situational and a very expensive item.
Small monster sigils
• Now restore up to 30 Mana in addition to Health
This change will actually help out mana dependent junglers that need to give the second blue to their AP mid player. It's a good change that will allow junglers like Amumu, Sejuani, Nautilius and Maokai to open with different optimal routes (of course those champions could start at the Red buff but this wasn’t so good as going for the Blue at start). As a result it won’t hurt them that badly if their blue got invaded and stolen.
Small golem camp
• Movement Speed increased to 300 from 180
• Medium Golem base damage increased to 59 from 54
I actually tested in on the PBE and to be honest it's not possible to kite those golems if you don’t have any kind of slow. It's quite a huge change which will result in many bottom lanes not being able to do them without losing HP. Possibly the blue team won’t have this small advantage anymore in early game on bottom lane.
Summary of this patch:
- Nerfs - Ziggs
- Buffs - Alistar, Fizz, Galio, Lux, Malphite, Olaf, Teemo, Tristana
- New champion - Fiora - probably really strong if not OP at launch